More than a thousand years ago, Vikings and their fore-fathers lived in Uppland. They lived on estates and farmsteads, cultivated the land and traded. And some of them made long, and sometimes renowned , journeys.
They left traces - sometimes small and barley perceptible, sometimes very clear - in scenic locations. And you can meet Vikings here. The powerful landowner in Vendel, Ulf the merchant in Valsgarde, Grimsa the rich Viking chieftain's daughter at Broborg, Andvett in Varsund and Torgerd the Viking woman in Gamla Uppsala. Through guided tours, exhibitions and mobile apps, they talk about themselves, the Viking Age and their forefathers. You will learn why they set out on their Viking expeditions, why they c
arved runestones and why they believed about death.
Learn more about the Vikings and their forefathers here
- Museum Gustavianum displays swords and garnet-encrusted helmets in its exhibition "Valsgarde
Vendeltid - Vikinggatid (Valsgarde Vendel Period Viking Age)"
- Gamla Uppsala museum also displays priceless finds from the archaelogical site
- Upplandsmuseet presents its exhibition "Tiden i rummet
- manniskor i Uppland under 5,000 ar (Time and Space)
- People in Uppland over 5,000 years)
- Enkopings museum presents "Gryningsland", an exhibition on prehistory giving an insight into people's everday lives and cults